Sunday 27 July 2008

I did it!

Hi I made it ! Landed north of Calais after an epic 19.46 hours of swimming . My shoulder packed in at hour 2.5 and addef a lot of time and pain to the swim! My chart of the swim looks like a double s shape! The journey was definatly the hardest thing I have ever done and I was helped by an amazing pilot and crew and my support crew without all of whom I wouldn't have made it! They also all white lied brilliantly to keep me going and told me I had an hour to go and it was just around the bend etc just enough to motivate me further ! I kept thinking this mile I have to swim is a bloody long way! I was followed for a long time by a seagull who kept turning up at my darkest moments! Sitting bobbing on the water a foot from my head! There were a lot of scary moments and I lost the plot several times at one point I was so cold I thought I was at school which scared me then I had a warm drink and poured some on my hands and down my front whic seamed to work and the next thing I knew the water started to warm up and I knew France was nearly there and I had to work hard for it ! It was at that point I decided the only way I was getting out was if they pulled me out or I reached the end. Which I did and boy did the sand feel good on my toes! I will write the swim up properly when I can . Thankyou to everyone who has sent me such wonderful messages and once again thank you to the people on the boat who made the swim happen! Dave Whyte and Joan Colin therese Brian Paula laura and abi also Thankyou to Evelyn and David for everything they have done xxx

11 comments:

ged and pauline said...

well. i always knew you could do it - but its still absolutely amazing and astounding that anyone could do what you just did! I feel very proud to know you and will certainly be contributing to your good cause, and telling all my family and friends about your achievement. its difficult to know what else to say apart from 'well done' - but i'm sure you know that its a very big 'well done' with many exclamation marks to follow.
lots of love and see you soon - after you've slept for a few days.
p

Unknown said...

Little more to add to the above comment - just WELL DONE from us too.
David & Hilary

Unknown said...

Congratulations and very well done for such an achievement! We heard about your swim whilst we were at Jinksi's cd launch. All the hard work will have been worth it - for such a good cause. All the very best. Regards
Helena Wegrzynska (one of Jinski's sisters) and Paul.

Unknown said...

Congratulations and very well done. We heard about your swim when we were at Jinksi's cd launch. This is a fantastic achievement and for such a good cause. All the best. Regards. Helena Wegrzynska (one of Jinksi's sisters) and Paul

David Anderson said...

Well done indeed, Frances! A truly amazing effort and feat, which would have made Grandy especially proud, as she was always in extreme awe of channel swimmers. Let us know what the cause is, and where we can send our donation.

Much love from Italy (where I am about to do 50 lengths of the pool, half a mile in total)

David and Jenny

jane said...

hey frances,
you dont know me but my dad (john airey) has told me about your efforts and i think its truely amazing and you are a inspiration ,as is my dad, mind i shall give the channel a miss! well done ! jane

jane said...

hey frances , you dont know me but my dad does- john airey, he has told me about your efforts ! i thinks it truely amazing and you are an inspiration ,as is my dad although i may give the channel a miss! well done!

Will said...

Well done, Frances. You did fantastically! You should be extremely proud of yourself. We were all willing you on. Hope you are managing a well earned rest now, and that your shoulder is soon on the mend. Lots of love Will, Heather, Isla, Harvey, Callum & Daisy xx

tomm. said...

big gratz
(from an old ex swimmer,-)
i never would have made this, in such a cold but unfresh channel water.. (used to enjoy warm waters)
keep on, maybe gibraltar next?

tomm.

Jaqi said...

WELL DONE FRANCES , YOU HAVE DONE AN EXCELLENT JOB YOU SHOULD BE SO PROUD, i KNEW YOU WOULD DO IT, WELL DONE AND CONGRATULATIONS, JAQI X

VickersFamily said...

Wow what a fantastic achievement Frances, an inspiration to us all. Many many congratulations from Yvonne, Kieran and Lauren Vickers